The New Church’s Teachings was one of the most recognizable and useful book series in the Episcopal Church. The books were a mainstay on seminarian and clergy bookshelves. With this launch of the Church’s Teachings for a Changing World series, two visionary Episcopal thinkers and church leaders team up to revitalize the currency, integrity, and scholarship of the original series with fresh new voices and style; concise and clear enough for newcomers, yet grounded and thoughtful enough for seminarians and leaders.
In this fourth volume, Winnie Varghese, a leading thinker and vibrant presence at the intersection of church and world, explores the "what," "how," and "why" of Episcopal engagement with contemporary social issues. Like the master of the household in Jesus' parable (Matthew 13:52) who "brings out of his treasure what is new and what is old," Varghese leads readers to discover theological resources from generations past and how they help to guide our action around thorny issues like racial justice, gender and sexuality, economic disparity, definitions of "family," the environment, and much more.
The series features nine books. The introductory book, The Episcopal Way (Volume 1), and a summary book, Companions on the Episcopal Way (Volume 9), with seven books in between which cover seven topics:
- Scripture - A Word to Live By (Volume 7)
- Church History - The Episcopal Story: Birth and Rebirth (Volume 2)
- Theology - A Faith for the Future (Volume 3)
- Ethics - Formed by Love (Volume 5)
- Contemporary Society -Church Meets World (Volume 4)
- Worship - Gathered for God (Volume 8)
- Practice of Ministry - Following the Way of Jesus (Volume 6)
- The next generation of the classic New Church’s Teaching Series
- Updated content and approach, compared to earlier New Church’s Teachings series, with emphasis on mission and applicability
- Jargon-free language
- Accessible and engaging for newcomers and adult learners; appropriate content for church leaders and seminarians
- Interactive study questions and exercises and accompanied by online materials